Monday 22 June 2015

Consequence of rumours

MYSTERIOUS TRAGEDY AT CLAPHAM. - A family tragedy, which remains shrouded in mystery, has occurred at Clapham.

Mr. and Mrs. Littleton, of middle age and independent fortune, dwelt in Forster Place, Clapham. According to the evidence of neighbours they lived on very affectionate terms; but the housekeeper stated that on Sunday, the 21st, when she went to church in the afternoon, she left her master and mistress in the drawing-room; and that on her return her mistress told her they had had a few words.

Her mistress went out twice in the course of the evening, and at 10 o’clock witness went to bed, leaving her master and mistress in the dining-room together. About ten minutes past 12 her master came to her, and asked if her mistress had come home. She told him that she did not know that she had been out. He told her that she had gone out in a great passion, and that he had followed her, but, stopping to close the door against the dog, that she had got ahead of him, and he could not tell which way she was gone. He went out again to look out for her, but could not find her, and returned at 2 o’clock.

Nothing was heard of her that night. On the following morning, a person who went to the Long Pond on Clapham Common for the purpose of  fishing, found in the water the body of a respectable female. She was elegantly dressed, with several rings on her fingers. There were no marks of violence on the body, but the fingers were so much swollen that it was necessary to file the rings before they could be taken off. This was the corpse of Mrs. Littleton.

A person residing on the common opposite the Long Pond deposed to having heard a long, loud scream as of a woman in distress about 12.30 on that Sunday night; but such cries, it seems, are not uncommon about this open spot. Another stated that about 12 P. M. he had seen a man and a woman together under some trees, who were quarrelling violently.

The death of his wife, and the rumours that were circulated, necessarily produced a great effect upon Mr. Littleton. He attended the funeral of his wife, and, on his return to his house, he sent for a friend to come to him in the front parlour. He said, “You were on the inquest - what reports have you heard about it ?” I (Mr. Blewitt) said that I had heard many reports. He said, “They say that I pushed her into the pond; but I declare to God I never saw her from the time she left the house until I saw her dead, and I will tell you how it occurred.” I said, “ The worst is over now.” He said, “Oh no, Monday I dread.” I said, “You have nothing to do but to speak the truth.” He said, “ I will tell you how it occurred. It was a most simple thing. I went into the front room after dinner with the paper, and I found a tremor come over me. I felt fainting, and could hardly get to the settee. She (Mrs. Littleton) was in the room, and she took no notice of me for some time. After I had come-to a little, I said, ‘Amelia, how unkind you are.’ She looked at me sternly and said, ‘You are always telling me I am unkind.‘

She got me some water and left the room. She dressed herself and went out. She returned, took off her chains, and left a lock of hair behind her. He said again, “I declare to God I never saw her from that time until her body was found. I went out once and returned, thinking to find her at home. I went out again. I went on to the Common, and called her until I was hoarse.” I asked him if I should send for his friends, and he said, “No;” adding, “but Monday I dread.”

On the following day (Sunday) the unfortunate man committed suicide by cutting his throat. There seems no ground for doubting that Mr. Littleton’s account was correct; and that the poor lady threw herself into the water in a fit of temper.

No comments:

Post a Comment