Tuesday 23 June 2015

C18th lonely hearts column

From the Daily Advertiser, Apr. 13.

A middle-aged maiden lady, with an independent fortune, has been determined by the cruel treatment of those who from their connections ought to have been her friends, to think of entering into the honourable state of matrimony. She is indifferent as to fortune, so she meets with a gentleman of good morals and family; indeed she would rather wish to marry a person without any fortune, that the gentleman may have the higher obligations to her, and of consequence treat her with that tenderness and regard, reasonably to be expected from persons under such circumstances.

Her reason for taking this method, is, that it has been industriously given out, by people interested, (in order, she supposes, to prevent proposals) that she had determined never to marry.

Letters, with proposals, will be received at the bar of the Smyrna coffee-house, directed for Z. Z. A description of the gentleman's person, age and profession, is requested to be inserted; and how to direct, if the proposals are approved of.

The lady's conduct will bear the strictest scrutiny. No letters received, unless post paid, to prevent impertinence.

From the same, April 17.

Whereas I had long despaired of meeting with a temptation to enter into the holy state of matrimony, till taking up the paper of Friday last, I read the agreeable advertisement of a lady whose sentiments jump so entirely with mine, I am convinced we are cut out for each other, and therefore take this method of describing myself: I am a gentleman of unexceptionable good family; losses and crosses have reduced my fortune to my wardrobe, a diamond ring, a gold watch and an amber-headed cane; but as you have generously said, you don't even wish a fortune, I imagine this will be no hindrance: My person is far from disagreeable, my skin smooth and shining, my forehead high and polished, my eyes sharp tho' small, my nose long and aquiline, my my mouth wide, and what teeth I have perfectly sound: all this, with the addition of a flaxen full bottom, suitable to the age of between forty and fifty, with a good heart and sweet disposition, and not one unruly particle, compose the man who will be willing, upon the slightest intimation, to pay his devoirs to the lady. If she will direct her letter for S. U. to be left at St. James's coffee-house, the gentleman will wait on her wherever she pleases to appoint him.

No comments:

Post a Comment